Thursday, July 14, 2011

Studio Session

I thought it would be fun to share with you a little of what I do when it comes to recording and preparing a track to be album ready. On my upcoming album, "Illumination", I've arranged a piano version of the song "Secrets" by OneRepublic (yes I have the licensing permission). I'm very excited about it - and especially now after having recorded the cello part by young cellist Stephanie Yose. Stephanie is a 16 year old high school student from Sammamish, Washington - who is a talented cellist and plays with one of the top performing Seattle youth philharmonic orchestras. This was Stephanie's first time in the studio and she really caught on quickly and by the end of the day laid down a really fantastic session. I hope you enjoy a little peek into my world.

6 comments:

Sandy said...

Wow! That was amazing to watch. Thanks so much for sharing it. I can't wait for the new CD.

Carolyn said...

Stephanie did a great job....I'm sure it wasn't easy being the first time in a studio. And Zak's new board looks fantastic!

Dan Thomas said...

Make sure BYU-IDAHO gets a copy of your new album. They alway play it on their Sounds of Sunday! (Usually as a lead in to "Music and the spoken Word."

Way cool!

Stephen and Ileana said...

That is so cool Jenni! That is a huge song, how did you get the licensing for it? I'm a big fan of OneRepublic. I enjoyed the video, seeing you in your creative element was very cool, I can tell you really enjoy it!

Stephen

Jenni said...

It is pretty easy/standard to obtain a mechanical license to do a "cover" of somebody's music. It is about 9 cents per CD, so if you do a run of 1,000 it's only $100 to obtain the license. It gets tricky if you want to perform the song live or publish the sheet music. I was able to get my license through contacting OneRepublic's agent at Sony and got the green light from there. Thanks:)

Emmy Southworth said...

This is so motivating, to watch you create and make wonderful music. It makes me want to spend more time in my own studio.