Friday, June 25, 2004

Hawaii - Day 5: The Wedding

The day of Kristi and Haini's wedding finally arrived. It couldn't have been more perfect - as you can see from the beautiful pictures here. They were married in the Hawaii LDS Temple, which is also where they first met.

I didn't get to see Will very much this day because he was asked, at the last minute, to step in as one of the Groomsmen since a friend of Haini's was unable to attend. So Will was busy all day doing groomsmen duties which included driving cars around, picking up tuxedos, flowers, etc.

I on the other hand, ended up being the designated hair stylist for all of Will's sisters. This was a lot of fun because I love doing hair, and it was neat to get to know them better.


Above: The Temple Grounds - so pretty. :)

Above: The Girls from left to right: Hiani's stepmom and her daughters, Alisha, Elizabeth, Jenni, Dalynn, Grace, and Laura

Above: The bride exiting the temple and waiting for her new husband. I of course had my camera and eyes fixated on the handsome man in the background in the oversized tuxedo.

Above: The happy couple - Kristi and Heinrich Sugaturaga (say that 3 times fast)

Above: The family photo - which I was excited to be invited to take part in

Above and Below: Some favorite shots of Will and I at the Temple

Below: Since Will was stepping in as a last-minute groomsman, he also had to sit at the bridal dinner table. I was really sad because I didn't get to sit next to him, so I would go over as much as possible and talk to him. (Will is the 2nd from left)

Above: Me stealing a moment with Will as he was up at the Bridal Dinner Table. I think it is funny how ill-fitted his tuxedo is. It was originally fitted to be worn by a big Polynesian guy.


Above: This was an interesting tradition, which we white chics totally humiliated ourselves with in front of the Polynesians. Each family is asked to come up and dance in front of everyone to music, and then the onlookers will come and stick money on you (like a stripper, yes, except we didn't strip). And then all of the money collected goes to the bride and groom.

They do this instead of giving gifts. I wish this was an American tradition - because they made off with a LOT of money that night. I have to say though we were the sorriest bunch of dancers you ever saw - and you can see from the expressions of the Polynesians that they were quite bored with us.

Above: Finally Will got to leave the Bridal Table and come sit next to me. I was pretty excited. We are also a little bit sunburned, if you couldn't tell.

No comments: